general feed

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

paulw60
KG Regular

Hi everyone,
I set up hydroponics in the greenhouse last year with some great results. I use a seaweed feed called formulex, very similar to tomorite!
question is can I use it as a general feed instead of buying tomorite or similar for all other veg? Reason I ask I buy formulex in bulk and it works out almost £2 litre cheaper!!
thanks, keep growing and stay safe :D
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
Geoff
KG Regular

Tomorite is never going to be an economical feed. Don't know the best price but if you pay £3 per litre it gives a cost of about 12p for a normal 2 gallon can full. You might be able to beat it by a bit with bigger packages. NPK 4:3:8 plus Mg.
I'm struggling to make a comparison with Formulex but if I am reading stuff correctly you can buy 5 litres for just under £25 but with a dilution rate of 5ml / litre a two gallon can costs around 21p. Can't find an understandable NPK.
I use Flower Buddy from Elixir Garden Supplies. It is a powder costing £18.99 for 5kg that you use at 1g per litre giving a 2 gallon can cost of 3.42p. NPK 7.5:12:36 plus Mg and trace elements. Incidentally they also sell Bumper Crop for tomatoes at £20.99 for 5kg but as far as I can tell it is the same formula.
snooky
KG Regular

Formulex dosing rates and NPK.

Recommended dosage for soil: 5ml/litre.

Recommended dosage for hydroponics: 10ml/litre.

Recommended dosage for foliar spray: 5ml/litre.

NPK: 2.4 – 0.9 – 3.4

So,no is my guess.Growmore would be my choice for a general feed.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Kayburton
KG Regular

paulw60 wrote:Hi everyone,
I set up hydroponics in the greenhouse last year with some great results. I use a seaweed feed called formulex, very similar to tomorite!
question is can I use it as a general feed instead of buying tomorite or similar for all other veg? Reason I ask I buy formulex in bulk and it works out almost £2 litre cheaper!!
thanks, keep growing and stay safe :D

Formulex is a universal fertilizer, suitable for all indoor plants, without exception. If it's easier for you to use one fertilizer and not fool yourself with buying different fertilizers, use Formulex.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic