First time growing Kalettes, have we lost them?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

twinklefl
KG Regular

Hi, we’re very new allotmenteers so everything is a slight mystery to us. But we decided to give kalettes a go cause we like them.
They’ve been looking amazing, grown really strong and are now almost a metre tall. For the last week or so they have started producing a group of tiny buds from the top of the stem, they haven’t flowered yet, but they do look like they could.
All the plants have the same identical growth. Have they bolted? Does this mean we have to give up on them and just harvest the leaves now as they are and not expect to get our kalettes later in the season?
Thank you
Attachments
253F719B-D8B4-4EFD-8C0C-9A1C397A5F86.jpeg
253F719B-D8B4-4EFD-8C0C-9A1C397A5F86.jpeg (5.09 MiB) Viewed 3558 times
Monika
KG Regular

That sounds like bolting to me, as you suspect. I would take the flowering tops off, keep watering them well and hoping that they will eventually form the kalettes from the axils. You don't say where you are, but perhaps it's been the very warm weather lately which has caused the bolting. Usually kalettes don't really form until well into autumn and even over winter.
Westi
KG Regular

I agree with Monika, they are trying to bolt due to the hot weather. It is not too late to sow again though. I lost my first lot sown at the advised time, but they actually tried to flower when way, way smaller than yours, so yours could be saved. (It's a natural thing they do to reproduce at any cost if weather doesn't play they go to seed so there is a next generation). I re-sowed about 3 weeks ago & have some looking sturdy & planted out, but I'm not overly optimistic for them either with the late summers we can get, but will keep my fingers crossed.

I am also going to direct sow a couple & not make it as easy for them in soft compost so hopefully they will be tougher. Slightly later harvest but still a harvest. I did this with my Purple Sprouting last year following a mole & cabbage while attack & although jealous of others posting their harvests earlier than me I had the best harvest I've ever had.

Good Luck twinklefl & welcome to the forum!
Westi
twinklefl
KG Regular

Thank you so much for the help.
We’re in London so have had all the heat. We shall try cutting the flower buds off. But I will plant a few more seeds as back up just in case they don’t come back from this.
Cheers
L
retropants
KG Regular

I have plants about 8" tall, they look OK. In addition, I've only just sown tuscan Kale, broccoli and purple sprouting, so I'd say it's not too late to sow again. :) Good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic