Broad beans

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pontersman
KG Regular

For 30 odd years I have sown aquadulce in November and produced enough to put about 30 x 2 portion meals in the freezer. This year I have healthy plant as usual but very few beans! Plant after plant is has no beans at all, some have just a few. I am sure I have done nothing wrong. Could it be that when the plants were in blossom it was too cold or too wet for bees to be out? Any ideas ,please?
snooky
KG Regular

Afternoon Pontersman,
Yes, quite probably a lack of pollinating insects earlier in the year and a few of us might find ourselves in the same boat.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with snooky - lack of pollination. Unless your broad beans were on very rich ground, grew lots of foliage but very few flowers?
Our spring-sown broad beans are only just flowering now but even with the good weather I have seen very few insects about, so I give them a little shake every so often, hoping that might aid pollination.
Westi
KG Regular

Mine in the tunnel are usually so much taller than this years. I've had at least one door open for quite a while & often both for a bit, they had a lot of flowers but no crop. Decided to investigate a bit closer as had to get in to tie up the odd 'taller' ones & wondered rats or mice, only to find the bottom of the stalks have been properly harvested - hmm? Still have more above but someone not something was inpatient.

Obviously their own are now ready & they don't need any more. Fortunately a few of my outside ones are also ready but uneven bean formation due to the lack of pollinators. Now deffo mice or rats to thank for the re-sows of them which have full pods but not quite ready but optimistic!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I suspect it's due to lack of pollination with prolonged cold and wet weather whichis a nuisance when you reply on a crop for your winter freezer supply. Is it worth snapping the heads off and hoping for a second spurt of growth?

Conditions this year have been bad almost everywhere. We had to go out yesterday and buy replacement climbing beans from a garden centre - something I haven,t done for many years because virtually my newly planted out entire crop was blasted by wind and rain.

I,m just waiting for those early Bight tomato warnings now to complete my joy!!
MR.SORRELL
KG Regular

We’re they rotated in new areas? If not soil deficiency would be the cause.

Otherwise I think it’s because it’s been too dry.

Did you overwinter them first?
Westi
KG Regular

The hot spell killed off the end of the main crop, they just got too big & seedy trying to save their gene pool. I pulled them & re-sowed in an empty bed & nothing happened. I checked rats or mice did not get them but the seed was sitting there doing nothing. But now it has rained they have popped up. With any luck weather wise I could get a bit of a crop with a some protection.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic