Just moved , existing garden plant?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Connie777
KG Regular

Hi I hope you are all well & out in Sunny Gardens
? I have a question please about an existing plant in my new House Garden, it has two different types of leaves & has a flower coming on it? I am wanting to change the flower bed & add more Shrubs. I just want to know if this is worth keeping? It is in a North facing position & only gets sun in the morning, Thanks Connie
Pic of plant
Pic of plant
594F9A14-154E-42B2-B8FE-F0F1A55D1EE4.jpeg (4.29 MiB) Viewed 3329 times
Monika
KG Regular

Are you sure that is just one plant. Connie? It looks to me like two quite distinct sort of leaves and thus two different plants.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, definitely looks like two different plants to me too. Sorry, no idea what either of them are but i don,t imagine either produce much in the way of flowers so if its north facing something different might be mire beneficial to the eye. Do the smaller green leaves belong to those rather thick twiggy stems.? In one place, when I enlarged the ohoto on my iPad ai spotted some tiny pink berries which may help to identify that one if you have a shrub identifier, but the taller one is a mystery to me and looks a rather boring non flowering plant/weed.
Geoff
KG Regular

My first thought was the flower buds look like Syringa meyeri but I'm not convinced, should be fully open soon to make it easier, good scent if it is. If it really is one plant I wonder if it is something grafted and the big leaves are the rootstock. Lilacs can be grafted but I think on common lilac and the big leaves aren't that.
Connie777
KG Regular

Thankyou for your replies, well the mystery continues then? It is in a bad way possibly? It might have to go this Autumn
Janet K. Sullivan
KG Regular

I think you can keep this tree.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic