Blackberry

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Blackberry

Postby tracie » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a blackberry for my allotment, thornless hopefully. Please can you recommend a variety.

0 x
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Chantal
KG Regular

Re: Blackberry

Postby Chantal » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi Tracie

We have one that came from Aldi. Don't know if a variety was given, but they have them every year. Thornless, huge lovely tasting fruit and masses of them.
0 x
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

We have a couple of Himilayian giant I think they were called about 30 years ago. Thornless, prolific and still going strong. The suckers do have thorns though
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 pm

The birds gave me mine, (or some other critter). I was still in that confused 'what one to buy' when I noted a stick with a few leaves on the path & gave it a chance. (Did not know it was a blackberry either, but always the optimist & would have been happy with a raspberry)! :) Totally thornless, big tasty berries, but a bit huge & thick smooth stems. I couldn't even id that stick as a blackberry! Not answering your question though, but it was over a decade ago, but I have a cutting/stick from it decorating the shed as well, so maybe have a look or chat with the other plot holders as you could get lucky too & not have to pay for a stick or two - (although I think technically they aren't called a stick). :)
0 x
Westi
Barkelberrybear
KG Regular

Postby Barkelberrybear » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi Tracie, I have just bought "Chester", which is meant to be big and nice tasting." Ouchita" is a beautiful variety with me. "Triple Crown", "Adrienna", "Loch Tay","Loch Ness", and "Loch Maree" are all nice thornless varieties. Good Luck.
1 x

Return to “Ask the team”