advice and ideas for eating jerusalem artichokes

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

poppy123
KG Regular

Hi all. Just looking for some advice on consuming Jerusalem artichokes please. I planted 10 tubers and harvested half a barrow full. I found a soup recipe but as I had heard that they can cause wind if you aren't used to them I only ate half a small bowl. Wind wasn't so much of a problem but I suffered gripping stomach pains for about 3 days. As the Christmas holidays were approaching I didn't try again as I didn't want to be ill, but do intend to try again - just summoning up the courage! My question is "Does your gut get used to them or are there just some people who can't tolerate them?" If I can get used to them, any ideas on best way of cooking them/recipes. I may very well be coming on to the forum again re: yacon and oca which I am just harvesting but haven't tried eating yet.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Poppy! They do unfortunately have side affects for some people, not all. I use an Indian Asafoetida spice, readily available in most supermarkets (Swartz) & just sprinkle into anything you are making with the artichokes. It has a mild onion flavour so won't be noticed. Folk get bloated from the inulin in them hence the stomach pains & wind.

I mainly make soup, but I have made a dauphinois & roasted them, but tbh I stick to soups unless they are a reasonable size as it is a flaff prepping them otherwise. The pup likes digging & eating them & unfortunately she is in the affected group! :(
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with Westi - use a little Asafoetida. It does work. If you have dug up such a lot, poppy123, I would be inclined to ditch the very small ones, they just not worth cleaning and peeling. They WILL survive in the frozen ground (a bit like parsnips), so you can leave them until you need some. But when you get rid of off-cuts or little ones, don't put the on the compost heap because they will sprout and spread all over the place.
poppy123
KG Regular

Thanks Westi and Monika. I will give the Asafoetida a try. I am giving my pigs one or two of the smallest JAs a day and they seem to be ok with them, so I shall use the little ones up that way. I can't remember off hand what variety these JAs are (will have to see if I can find a receipt) but they are large and easy to peel. Unfortunately I dug them all up, so I don't know how long they will store. Next year I will leave in place - thinking of reorganising my veg patch in the coming weeks and go no-dig plus beds for perennials. Have either of you tried Yacon or Oca?
Westi
KG Regular

I haven't Poppy, but interestingly I scrolled through a FB allotment site with someone posting a similar problem with their Yacon so maybe common with these particular root crops, but they have big benefits as well for gut balance. But you have the solution - which only 1 person mentioned there, so you're ready to enjoy your other harvests. I like that your pigs are getting the little ones for a treat, perfect solution to prevent JA invasion of your growing space.
Westi
poppy123
KG Regular

Yes you are right Westi - I've just been googling and Yacon also contains inulin, but as you say I have the answer now - thank you. Off to supermarket tomorrow then.
Stephen
KG Regular

As above, asafoetida in soup or if boiled. I find roasting them doesn't produce wind in the same way but it is easy enough to be cautious and sprinkle it over. I tend to roast a mixture of potatoes, parsniips, onions and jerusalems sothey are only a small component.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
pontersman
KG Regular

I love them, Poppy, just roasted in with meat as you would parsnips. I can put up with the wind, they are worth it but I have never had pains.
Chantal
KG Regular

I made JA and spinach soup this year, with a little asafoetida, and it was silky and gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of soup, but am happy to make an exception for this!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Stephen
KG Regular

I made soup for a late luch today. The ones I had in the kitchen needed using up.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
poppy123
KG Regular

Thanks for all the advice. Tried roasting them with potatoes, parsnips, swede and carrot and they were delicious. Stomach was ok the first evening but when I repeated them the next evening I had a little discomfort, so I am proceeding with caution. I am still trying to get hold of some Asafoetida, then I'll retry the soup.
Chantal
KG Regular

I bought asafoetida from the supermarket, Schwarz make it. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
poppy123
KG Regular

Thanks Chantal. I've been looking in my local supermarket - maybe it isn't a big enough store to stock it - will have to try online or further afield.
Westi
KG Regular

You don't perchance have an Indian takeaway where you live? Could ask them as if they use it, it will be in huge packets so they might share a wee bit with you as you literally only need a pinch. It is definitely avail online though.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic