Florence fennel in polytunnel

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Browsing through various back issues of KG magazine, I've come across a few mentions of Florence fennel being grown over winter in a polytunnel and ready for harvesting around January; Stephanie Hafferty certainly mentioned it more than once in her articles.
Starting the seed in modules, what's the best time to sow it for planting out in a tunnel or unheated greenhouse to get a January harvest? I should have space to grow some over next winter for winter salads.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi there vivienz! I have some in my tunnel which is bulbing nicely.

It went in as a gamble as all the outside ones were bolting which are usable('ish), but I wanted some that looked liked the shop ones. It germinated quickly but the little seedlings looked a bit straggly but I just ignored them as only gave them a tiny patch. Probably sowed September time (I do have to be more disciplined with note taking), but since mid Nov they have been happier & actually bulbing nicely. I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow as have to be in the tunnel a bit as ruddy mice have got in so planning to bury some fine folded wire around the edges to deter them as once again enjoying my broad beans. Another positive is the wee furry fellows don't seem to like them!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Hi vivienz,

I remembered to take a pic!
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG (3.85 MiB) Viewed 1367 times
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic