Pruning Roses.

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Planted some new roses this year. They have become rather leggy, would normally trim back by a third this time of year [ winter gales ETC ] But the buggers are still blooming, with other buds on the way. My instinct tells me to prune. Any thoughts. ?
Monika
KG Regular

Did you trim them back when you first planted them? If so, I would now leave them until spring when you see the first new growth and after any (expected) heavy frosts. If you never cut them back before, maybe you should just top the tips?
Westi
KG Regular

I cut my established roses back as per norm even though they were in bud & full flower. (I rescued the buds & flowers). I just want the beautiful display next year with them rested over the winter season. Same with the strawberries & raspberries who also seem to be confused, nipping off the unripe strawberries but eating the raspberries as finding them ripe anyway. Growers perks!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic