Whitefly

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pontersman
KG Regular

Whitefly

Postby pontersman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:22 pm

For the last few years my kale and sprouts have been ruined by severe infestations of whitefly, so this year I did not grow any. Sods law, there isn't any whitefly anywhere on our allotment site. Has anyone any idea why this is? Is it general? Could it be a bonus from climate change? I am in Gloucester.
0 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Re: Whitefly

Postby Primrose » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:53 pm

I,ve noticed the same thing with my curly kale. This year I don,t seem to have any or very little,the. Last year it was covered. Probably sky something to do with climatic conditions . We had some very hot weather and dryness last summer and I wonder I'd that triggered a breeding frthe breeding frenzy. They don,t seem to like a lot of moisture so perhaps the rainy periods discouraged breeding?

I notice if I bring any pepper plants indoors to overwinter a late ripening crop the dryness in our living room soon encourages whitefly. Perhaps if I sprayed them regularly with water that would discourage them.
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Re: Whitefly

Postby Westi » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Still a pain down south, although I have found regular spraying with some washing up liquid in water does seem to help. I still find them on the plants I just don't get that great cloud of them lifting off when I get near.
0 x
Westi

Return to “Ask the team”