Raspberries

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Raspberry Pie
KG Regular

Some of this year's new raspberry canes for fruiting next summer are fruiting now! It's lovely to see and eat! But the first time I've ever seen this. Has anyone else? And would you advise pruning out those canes after fruiting or maybe just cutting off the top bit that has fruited? Also blossom has appeared on three year old espalier apples - I've picked them off but again I've never seen this before. I'm in Sussex so it's been hot and very dry all summer so presumably everything is stressed.
Geoff
KG Regular

When were the canes planted, what variety are they and how were they pruned at planting time?
Westi
KG Regular

I bought some new autumn fruiting that fruited this summer, only 2 of the canes though, 2 didn't like the late frost and the other 2 are fruiting now & I note the ones that I thought were goners have fresh small canes growing around them. I'm hoping they are from those canes & not the others invading but too small to tell as yet, as the only difference in the canes from the potential invaders are brown & these new guys have reddish canes.

I'm really impressed with the flavour & size of the new ones so planning on ordering some more & turfing out the golden ones which are well thuggish. These are Paris & fruit is truly large, especially in comparison to the golden ones.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic