Short Brussels sprouts

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

hilary
KG Regular

Hi,
I have grown Evesham Special sprouts this year in well manured ground. For the first time about half have grown thick, short stems with blown sprouts.
I have watered them during the really hot, dry spell. Will they recover and grow on or do I just dig out and leave more room for those which are fine and put it down to the exceptionally hot weather.
Thanks
Hilary
Primrose
KG Regular

I,m always temped to keep plants which still have a use Even if the end product isnt perfect, , I.e. could the little blown sprouts still be used sliced up in stir fries or mixed salads? If so, perhaps worth keeping. Otherwise scrap them and just wait for the perfect ones to form. It,s odd isnt it how the same sown sown plants will perform differently uNdear the same conditions? Often it's guess work as to why it happens....too hot? too cold., too wet? too dry.........?....!
hilary
KG Regular

Thanks, I guess you are right. Always win some, lose some.
Will reserve for stir fries as you suggest. They were being decimated by caterpillars until I took the nets off on the basis that the pigeons are stuffing themselves on grain and lo and behold not one caterpillar to be seen, unseen predators at work....
The nets will be back on very soon !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic