Butternut Squash

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tanzy
KG Regular

Put my name down for an allotment, 3 year waiting list were I am. Some lists not far from me are 10 year waiting lists
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey! That's not good but do they bother ringing or e-mailing to confirm the 'want' still stands? Our guys & girls just did it as had so many & time on their hands. I think some sites don't do it - they even heard that some had even died. Looks cool I suppose to have a wanted site to stop re-development but not good for proper growers.
Westi
Tanzy
KG Regular

Not sure if they check now and again. I got an email confirming that I was on the list, and asking to let the. Know if I changed my mind or moved out of the area. The allotment area I’ve requested is only a 5 minute walk from where I live. I thought about doing it last year, but never got round to it.
Westi
KG Regular

Any older person around with a large garden you could chat to about using a bit of their space in return for sharing the crops? Keeps it neat & tidy for them & most will enjoy the company & seeing their garden with nice beds & being productive?

My nephew just offered to help a older lady a few doors up from him with shopping as saw her struggling (just before Covid), and they got on, he got invited in for a cuppa & then saw her 100' x 60' back garden (central London mind)! It was all overgrown, giant greenhouse and concrete paths & it was her husbands pride & joy but not her interest & when he died she could neither keep up with it or afford to have someone in regularly. Felix offered to do it for her & suggested growing on it again & she basically said knock yourself out! Now Felix has never grown before so I sent an SOS package of seeds & books to him. The greenhouse only had one broken pane and is a proper ginormous & heated one, as it turns out her hubby was a show grower. He has made a great friend in her and she cooks stuff he grows & they have lunch or supper together a few times a week.

Might be worth a walk around the block - just in case???
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

What a lovely story, Westi, and well done to your nephew! I can imagine that there are quite a few neglected gardens around which their owners can no longer manage but which would provide a wonderful growing ground for somebody keen.
Westi
KG Regular

Monika he is a kind man but his panic reminded me of the youngster who was also very kind - well always tried to feed me - mostly nasally! :) :) It's amazing what an act of kindness can lead to though!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic