Comfrey

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

daxtell71
KG Regular

Comfrey

Postby daxtell71 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:04 am

As a very new gardener I started with herbs so have quite a few and invested in some comfrey seeds which came and are slowly coming up. What I don't know is how to care for the plant or if it is one that I will have to sew each each year.

Also do you have any suggestions for other medieval herbs as I am trying to create that feel in the garden. Also Mixing Veg with flowers etc.

Thanks in advance any help is like gold to me at the moment.

:D
0 x
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:
Monika
KG Regular

Re: Comfrey

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Comfrey has very deep roots, so plants them in a 'forever' place because you'll never get rid of them. And, unless you have plenty of room, don't plant too many because they are large and greedy things, albeit very useful as a fertiliser. There has been a recent thread on this forum about comfrey - you might find it useful.
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Lots of thugs in the herb world so do your research Daxtell! I gave up my herb bed about 6yrs ago & still digging up Lemon Balm & Russian Tarragon all over the plot! I still have herbs but home in pots so I can control them!
1 x
Westi
Breq
KG Regular

Postby Breq » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:54 am

You need to be careful that you grow a sterile comfrey like Bocking 13 - it does not produce seeds and so does not spread itself everywhere; It is only propagated by cuttings. If you grow comfrey from seed, it will reseed itself and be everywhere. Find someone with some Bocking, and they can put a cutting in a pot and it will be away in no time.

Other thugs of the herbal world: anything in the mint family (incl. lemon balm), fennel, and sweet woodruff. I potted up some mint cuttings for a friend and rested in on another (tall) pot so I did not forget it to pass it on. In two weeks it had roots out of the pot and 6" into the other! I usually keep the thug pots on hard surface but forgot that time... I got sweet woodruff yonks ago from a lady who told me firmly to put it in a place where it can't escape or at least in a restriced area. Smells amazing but will be everywhere overnight if you let it. Makes nice herbal pillows. :)

I like Sweet Cicely, and old-fashioned herb that seems to thrive under my quice. Nice anise-like scent and I hope to use it with rhubarb next year (to reduce sugar requirment).

The usual suspects, parsley sage, thyme, rosemary (I like the prostrate kind - less of a giant shrub), and lavender are fab - great for insects when the flower, lovely and useful. Lots of varieties of each to have a go with
1 x
daxtell71
KG Regular

Postby daxtell71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:40 pm

That's brillian thank you everyone I shall put the plant in a pot and make sure it does not turn into to much of a thug :-)! Great suggestion and advice. I am so glad that I have found this forum. So far I have Mint and Feverfew in pots and Rosemary and Lavender in the front Garden. Its all coming together nicely my little piece of paradise.
1 x
Daxtell71 :D

How many beans make five? :lol:

Return to “Ask the team”