What to Plant after Cabbages?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Connie777
KG Regular

Hi All, hope your well? I just have a general question regarding Crop rotation, What can I plant in a raised bed after Greyhound Cabbages?
Any advice would be useful
Kayburton
KG Regular

You can plant tomatoes. I've done it and everything is great now. It's also possible to plant cabbage, onion and garlic, bell pepper or beans. Think what would be the most comfortable for you.
Monika
KG Regular

Presumably, you mean NOW, Connie? There is still time to squeeze in a crop of dwarf beans or florence fennel or lettuce or other salad crops, their success depending on where you live and how the weather shapes up for the rest of the summer!
Connie777
KG Regular

Thankyou both for your replies , I have more of an idea now for next year , I was wondering why my previous cabbages were a bit knobbly ? Just found out I have Club root to deal with now )-:
Westi
KG Regular

I've got club root as well Connie. The resistant seed varieties available are actually very good both in flavour & vigour & the range is expanding quite rapidly! You don't get many seeds in the pack & a bit more expensive but worth it for huge heads & I find that they are cross seasonal as before the Savoy variety they were all I could sow or plant.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

If you can source some plants I would add leeks, chard, beetroot. Watch out for brassicas if you opt for salad; stick with lettuce, endive, chicory, raddichio definitely not rocket, radish or most of the Asian greens.
Monika
KG Regular

When we had an allotment with clubroot (about 40 years ago and no resistant strains available then!), I used to grow the brassicas in individual pots to as large a size I as dared and only then planted them into the ground with a copious application of lime. That way most of the plants did survive and grow but it was a fuff doing it!
Connie777
KG Regular

Thankyou everyone, definitely look into resistant varieties , and as Monika commented , I have thought about growing in pots, all given foid for thought & hopefully some Brassicas next year? Thankyou again Ruth
hollyMiller
KG Regular

Hi Connie,
I think I'm too late :)
But anyway wanted to share my experience. This year I decided to plant onions and tomatoes after cabbage. And I had a little bit a hard time with tomatoes but onions turned out nice and large! I think for the next year I will try to grow some garlic or carrot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic