Many ants in my peach pot

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Breq
KG Regular

I am growing a peach "Crimson Bonfire" in a large pot in my greenhouse And very happy it is too. But this a.m. I went into the greenhouse to find massive ant earthworks in the pot: many large holes (to the nest) and lots of activity on/in the soil. I checked again for pests on the plant this am (nothing), so I am guesing that it must be the relative dyness of the greenhouse (compared to outside lately). :?:

Any thoughts about what I should do? Should I switch to using a capilarry mat set up for it, as I heard ants are attracted to a dry nest area. I am reluctant to use insecticides, but I am at a loss as to how to protect my tree. :(
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Breq,
what you are seeing is the summer breeding nest; ants tend to come up above ground to do this as it is often warmer and dryer than the surrounding earth. A large saucer will discourage them the best as they prefer to commute using tunnels if possible. Keep the saucer filled with water if you can as what you are after is a water filled "moat". If you are worried about the roots of your peach put the pot up on some bits of stone/tile/bits of broken pots. I would choose a saucer that is at least as big as the top rim of the pot; but bigger will be good as well.
This saucer will have the added benefit of making watering of your peach a lot easier and more constant. This will benefit you because fewer peach fruitlets will fall and the peaches will be juicier and less inclined to be bitter around the stone. If you can add a couple of strips of capillary matting to the base of the pot through the holes in the bottom so much the better.
Regards Sally Wright.
Breq
KG Regular

Thanks Sally! That sounds a like simple solution - I will dig out a saucer and capillary matting in the am. Deterrent rather than death is a good plan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic