Where to find iron and manganese?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

One of my tropical guys is developing an iron, magnesium and manganese deficiency. It appears to be a very common deficiency but how do I get iron and manganese? I could buy fertilizers, but are there any natural / compostable elements that contain it?

Magnesium is not needed as I already have something to provide this element to my plant.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Elmigo,
A good quality tomato food which includes trace elements is probably your easiest way of obtaining the manganese as it is not usually sold as an individual trace element for home use. Tomato foods also contain the iron and magnesium that you need. There are organic versions of tomato foods available.

Magnesium is sold in chemists and pharmacies as epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) which is usually used as a foot soak. One teaspoon/5 grammes to one gallon or five litres of water is the usual dilution rate. Put the bag or box into a sealed container after opening as the chemical will absorb water and turn into a slushy mess.

Iron is sold as a single element and is known in the gardening world as sequestered iron or Hydrangea blueing. Do not get the stuff formulated for using on lawns as it can be hard to dilute properly. Follow the instruction on the packet but don't mix in a metal (can't remember why offhand but don't do it anyway). If you use the sequestered (red stuff) wear old clothes as it can stain clothing.

Hope this helps,
Regards Sally Wright.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Definitely helps, I am going to try the tomato food and epsom salts. Thanks a lot :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic