Newbie plant killer

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

YorkshireDave
KG Regular

Good evening everyone, hope you’re all safe and well.
I’m new to greenhouses having finished building my first one last weekend.
I have various different bedding and fruit plants in which are doing great but I have a cherry tomato plant and a small raspberry plant whose leaves have withered really badly even though I’ve kept them watered.
Have I killed them?
rps20200509_11195-2..jpg
rps20200509_11195-2..jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Dave!

The raspberry will be fine outside as probably too hot in there for them & it seems at bit shallow planted. They get a long tap root/stem extension before the normal roots. Might save it if you can get it outside in the ground asap! Are you feeding your tomato? They need a feed when they start fruiting as use loads of energy on the fruit production & it's not a huge pot so probably exhausted all the nutrients in it!

Not a plant killer Dave, a gardener in the making! We learn more from our mistakes than the successes, especially with the guys & girls on here to give suggestions to what the mistakes were & prevent those mistakes again!
Westi
YorkshireDave
KG Regular

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have bought some tomato feed and will make sure I keep up with it. As far as the raspberry plant is concerned, unfortunately my garden is all decking so I don’t have any soil. If I find the biggest pot that I can do you think it will still grow?
Westi
KG Regular

It's not an excessively long stem, about 6 - 8" then some room for the proper roots & then later it will want to create more plants & spread. Trying to think of something free that could be successful but in current climate that could be difficult! Maybe a wide pot double up? Cut the bottom of the top one & wedge it in the other, go for width though as well as depth, but get it out of the greenhouse while waiting to be creative! Think about where they do best which is up your way & they have huge beds just doing their thing through all weathers! Good luck! And good move with the tomato feed!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Welcome Dave.
Now you have the raspberry, I'd give it a go but it isn't the obvious choice for growing in a pot because they naturally spread through their roots. How about a trough for it?
Do you know what variety it is?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic