Hazelnut propagating failure

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

The other day I was working at someones garden.

There was a huge hazelnut tree and some of the branches were burried under a pile of compost and dirt. It was put there temporarily but tbe branches of this hazelnut tree started rooting and tiny hazelnut trees grew out of the pile.

With the best care, I carefully dug out these small hazelnut trees and cut them off from the burried branch. Transported them in a plastic trash bag with dirt and a little water. Now I have three little hazelnut trees at home, put in the garden, but all the leaves have been hanging down ever since, couple of days...

What do I need to do to keep these little guys alive?
Last edited by Elmigo on Sat May 02, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Elmigo, sadly it sounds awfully like there is not enough root to keep up with the top growth...a little like when hazel is cut for pea sticks...the leaves open and seem to keep pace with the growing peas but, they always wilt and die in the end.

Just a thought, I don't know if you cut the branches down really low, if this might give them a chance to get going...could do with Sally to see this!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

I think you're right. Would it help to prune them back? Perhaps the roots will stay there so a new hazelnut tree may come up?
sally wright
KG Regular

I'm here!
right, first take off about half of the leaves, best if these are the lower ones. Put a clear plastic bag over the plants and move them into the shade and keep moist. You might get lucky, hazelnuts are reasonably tough. What you did wrong was digging them up when they had leaves on; hazelnuts do not like being moved when they are in growth - don't do it again!
Regards Sally Wright.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you Sally...I knew you would have a cunning plan... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Thank you, now I know what went wrong here. Unfortunately it was all or nothing this time, because the pile of dirt had to be removed and so did the tiny hazelnuts. I thought I could save them and keep them by digging out immediately.

I'm cutting away the lower leaves and keep them in shade as much as possible!
Stephen
KG Regular

Ah yes. If something has to be moved now, then you have to try it. There is little to lose, several times I have shifted stuff because it could not wait.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic