Yellowing leaves on Raspberry canes

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Grove
KG Regular

Yellow leaves
Yellow leaves
IMG_20200427_163332.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
Some of my raspberry plants have yellowing leaves. Some look perfectly green. Is this a nutrient deficiency? If so what?
Geoff
KG Regular

There are two reasons for yellow raspberry leaves according to the RHS

On chalky and strongly alkaline soils raspberries are prone to iron deficiency, displaying interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the leaf veins) or more uniform yellowing of the foliage starting at the growing tips.

Raspberries can also suffer from magnesium deficiency, showing interveinal chlorosis of the foliage, sometimes with reddish brown tints starting at the older foliage.

Unless you have the chalky soil, magnesium deficiency is the more likely, there are some of the reddish hints in your photograph. Their solution

Apply Epsom salts as a foliar feed in summer. Dilute the salts at a rate of 20g of Epsom salts per litre of water (1/3oz per pint) plus a few drops of liquid detergent. Apply two or three times at fortnightly intervals, spraying in dull weather to avoid leaf scorch.

You could also feed with one of the tomato fertilisers that have added magnesium.
Stephen
KG Regular

Interesting, because despite chalky soil here on the Chilterns (a spit's depth of clay before I hit chalk), I have not observed this.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Grove
KG Regular

I'm not on chalk either, so will assume it's Magnesium deficiency. Found Epsom Salts at just £1.99/kg at Savers. Thanks.
Grove
KG Regular

The Epsom Salts worked a treat on the new growth. The leaves at the top of the picture might look yellow but that's the bright sunshine. Generally, the plants are looking very healthy now.

Thanks,

IMG_20200601_201057.jpg
IMG_20200601_201057.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 2029 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic