To line or not to line raised beds

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Tgr79
KG Regular

Hi
I’ve spent so long digging my lawn to make raised beds. I’ve used second hand pallet collars but I’ve not lined them. I’ve only just read that on the Internet I guess I have to empty them all and refill? :cry: Is lining the way to go?

Also it said about putting matting on the bottom to allow worms and moisture to pass through but not weeds. Any idea what kind of matting? I have some but I don’t think worms can pass through it. I did dig down a way before starting the beds. I’ve used 2 collars per bed. Thank you in advance.
peter
KG Regular

Not sure what you mean by pallet collars?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Compo
KG Regular

I never line them. The bottom allows free passage between the ground and the infilled earth - a natural connection. As for lining the sides. I wouldnt as what that will do is trap moisture between the timber and the liner. I treat the timber with what ever wood treatment I have to hand.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Colin2016
KG Regular

The only lining I use is cardboard.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have put a weed membrane at the bottom of my beds with the idea of restricting invasive roots, I didn't bother lining the sides. The theory that it will help slow down the wood rotting doesn't stand up as the top and outside are exposed. A plant friendly wood treatment would work, those collars are not that thick, so they won't last forever, whatever you do, I used railway sleepers for mine.
BM1K1346.jpg
BM1K1346.jpg (628.21 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Stephen
KG Regular

If it was me, I would put down a double layer of cardboard and put the collar on top of it. Make sure the cardboard cover is absolutely complete and extends beyond the containing collar.

I have a bit of a down on non-compostable weed-suppressing membranes at the moment as I am clearing some which have been overwhelmed by weeds after a couple of years of neglect.
IMG_20200424_171541.jpg
IMG_20200424_171541.jpg (5.54 MiB) Viewed 3368 times

Bindweed above, below and through this fabric. Couch grass does just the same.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic