Combined crops

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

For everyone who likes to make the most out of their (sometimes tiny) gardening space just as much as I do, certain crops enhance each others health, growth or insect and animal population. Crops that can be combined very well are Allium varieties with carrots! This will keep carrot flies away.

I have just planted a lot of carrots inbetween lettuces and onions. They can stand each other, keep a harmful insect away and even take up less space together!

What are some other crops that can easily be combined?
Westi
KG Regular

It can work dependent on the severity of the carrot fly infestation, it may be a solution for you as you are surrounded quite closely by high fences. It is more important to know what plants don't like certain bed fellows first then focus on the best mates for them as there is a bit of conflict between the two on some sites!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I perhaps have been unlucky as this hasnt ever really worked for me and found with plants like lettuce, the best solution is to grow plenty of them so that pests like slugs can't possibly eat their way through them all. I,ve never found stronger smelling plans like Onions, garlic or leeks have deterred pests.

I've often read abiut "companion planting" to keep pests away and wonder whether gardening writers really just keep quoting this as hearsay or whether they've actually experimented with this concept for themselves and found it successful.

My only real experiment with this was planting nasturtiums to try and keep blackfly off ,y Climbing French Beans. The blackfly certainly invaded the nasturtiums with a vengeance and when there were so many of them you could ,t get anither single insect on them there merely migrated to the climbing beans. Perhaps others have been more successful.

It is important though not to have items like rimmed pots or other hiding places near your crops as the provide a very convenient refuge for pests like snails and woodlice during daylight, allowing them to creep out at night and do a lot of damage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic