Planting behind the greenhouse

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

I am asking this because the sun comes up on the east side (left) and shines through the greenhouse all morning. Except for around noon when the sun shines directly on these two tiny beds for about an hour, then disappears behind the fence on the right. The sunlight shining through the greenhouse gets filtered by the transparent panels. So basically this place is shady all day but the sun shines through slightly...

Screenshot_20200328-133327_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200328-133327_Gallery.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2901 times

Now my question is: how do I treat these two tiny beds? Do I treat this as full sun, partial shade or (almost) completely shady? And what can I grow inside these tiny beds? I can imagine the summer getting really got on this spot in particular.
Last edited by Elmigo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

I'd say partial shade, as come high summer you may find there is a bit longer length of sunshine.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have alpine strawberries in exactly that kind of position, they are growing well and the fruit, though tiny are delicious.(That's when there's any left by the Grandkids)
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Monika
KG Regular

Salad crops?
Elmigo
KG Regular

I think you're right Westi, partial shade should be it! So I think this place is certainly not good for ourdoor cucumber or climbing beans? Perhaps I'd stick to the salad crops.
retropants
KG Regular

Looks like a prime spot for spinach!
Elmigo
KG Regular

Would you still say spinach as the summers will probably get pretty hot on this spot? It's right inbetween the greenhouse and the fence so almost no wind either. Spinach sounds great for early and late sowing but mid-summer it will probably overheat...
Primrose
KG Regular

I wonder if dwarf French beans would thrive?
This first growing season you may have to regard this as an experimental area with small clumps of different things, watch and see how the sun moves and see which of your experiments crops thrives the best. You obviously want to make the most of every centimetre of your growing space productively so this season may be a bit of a learning experience.

I wouldn't try any root crops whixh require deep digging as that could risk undermining the foundation edges of the greenhouse.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Experimental it is then! :D

I don't think any root crops would grow as the trencher also has it's limits on how deep you can loosen up the clay. Do you really think any annual or small crop would be strong enough to damage any part of the foundation edges? This would make me rethink my entire plan so far!
Primrose
KG Regular

I only suggest avoiding root crops Elmigo because I find carrots and particularly some parsnips can go pretty deep !

Mixed salad leaves would probably work or some spring onions?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic