Cranberries

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Besides the small fig variety I ordered, I also received my cranberry! I was told they grow good in slightly acidic soil as well. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have any growing advice for cranberries? How do I keep the branches up straight? They say cranberries creep around on the ground a lot, sort of like raspberries or brambles.
:D
Westi
KG Regular

I thought of growing these once but they seem to need a lot of space due to their creeping habit which can cover several feet. They deffo need acidic soil which I also haven't got. I wonder if you could sink a pot with acidic soil for the roots and then somehow train the runners into a manageable spot on top of the soil using metal pins maybe going around the pot rather than out. I'm not sure how flexible the runners are though but if you caught them early they would have to be I would think but if roots escape into non acidic soil will they be productive?

You love a challenge don't you?
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Definitely love a challenge! I picked cranberries specifically because someone told me about their need for acidic soil. Would want to place them close to my conifer in full sunlight to accompany my blueberry. The soil probably is already much acidic.
Westi
KG Regular

Oh yes! Your conifers - likely perfect soil condition! Would still try pinning the runners down if possible!
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Do you mean so they can start rooting again and I end up with more cranberry bushes? Is it that easy? Because I love to have more of them. Cranberries are very healthy!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic