Hay Bale Growing

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I have managed to get the holes full & staying full so I think that is about 4 times I have topped up & by topped up not just handful but a shovel full minimum, so I am hoping that will be through the bale to support the plant's root run! I'm definitely putting the plants I have into the main bed & will start off with seed for this experiment. I had planned to put hanging plants along the side but I think that will destabilise the structure so I have made a mini hole between the courgette holes for a flower, just got to select a tallish one as all my courgette seeds are upright not sprawling.

I am going to take some pics of the plot tomorrow as been remiss & they are my record of what is where & how they are doing for comparison, so I shall post a pic for you! (And try to remember to do so every month or so)! :)
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Not the best pic & seemed to look better in real life, but this is mine!
Attachments
IMG_5214.JPG
IMG_5214.JPG (5.33 MiB) Viewed 2889 times
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

The stones were markers for feeding the bale earlier on! Had a thought today as still uncertain, so wondering about pots with the bottom cut out & pushed in like tomato ring thingies! Might just experiment with one on each bale! Will have other courgettes on the main bed, so can afford to loose what I sow in these!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Looking good, Westi, although I did wonder what the stones were when I first looked at it. Do you remember the (very) old TV series, Ask the Family? They had a section where they'd put a photo up and gradually zoom out until it became apparent what it was. Your rocks put me in mind of that, at first :)

I like the idea of sinking pots into the tops of the bales; the principle certainly seems sound. Where you lead, I shall follow and I'll have a go, too. Not sure what with yet, though.

I've been following the instructions for mine, and they had their second feed of garotta last night. The internal temperature is coming along nicely, as measured by the highly scientific method of sticking my fingers into it as far as they will go and feeling how hot it is. It may well be warmer further in, but I only have small hands. I'm going to switch back to miracle gro for the last couple of feeds. I don't want to risk the tops of the bales being too high in nitrogen that they scorch the plants that I put in there. I'm also going to forgo feeding on Monday night and water earlier in the day (if at all) as the weather is predicted to be 1C overnight then. My greenhouses are unheated and so I'm going to put all my tender plants in there, snuggled up to the straw bales and with a bit of covering to keep them comfortable.
vivienz
KG Regular

As reported elsewhere, the straw bale heating method was a great success - it was a snuggly 8C in the greenhouse with the bales (and all of my tender plants), which is remarkable. A 7C heat difference at its minimum.
Westi
KG Regular

Blimey that is quite significant! Now if the bales don't work for growing they are paying their way with off the grid heating!

Looking at mine today it seems I might have visitors - probably the same ones that keep eating my pea & bean seeds! At the bottom of the bales has been a load of straw which I have been attributing to the birds lining their nest which is fine, but it is persistent & the birds are collecting grubs so have their young, so I think some wee things are squatting! As it right at the bottom it is too low for rats & we know it is warm! Now I have put my thinking cap on for this & I have some Silent Roar feed granules coated in lion wee/other! (I know! Having a passion does make friends creative when it comes to birthdays & Xmas)!

Now are mice scared of lions? Not keen on killing but wondering about one of those sonic things that is battery operated, but might try the non smelly chocolate coated pellets to see, but not sure mice are worried, as threw a few around the peas & French beans but still had to re-sow again today! The sonic thing comes at a cost but supposed to work on other non-invited guests as well so could be an investment!

Sorry transgressing, bottom line is I am going for the bottomless pot on top as although I gave the holes a load of compost it could be anywhere in the bales if the visitors are making their way through the bales! I will keep you updated!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

It's really annoying to have your crops eaten, Westi. I'm not sure if it's worse when they're germinating or when you've nurtured them for ages and something beats you to it just as they're getting tasty.

I'll be making use of the hay bale heat again tonight. Having dragged everything in and then out again, I see that we're due anothe overnight low of 1C, so I best get it all covered once more. I shall be glad when this peculiar weather is over.
vivienz
KG Regular

Another exciting day of hale bale adventures - I planted up my bales this morning. Aubergines and tomatoes, a melon and a cucumber. Also, some herb seeds sown along the edges. There's room for another melon and cucumber, but they can go in tomorrow.
IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 2729 times

IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 2729 times

Very sorry about the sideways photos, I have no idea how to rotate them.
Attachments
IMG-20200517-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20200517-WA0000.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 2729 times
Westi
KG Regular

Looks grand! Would be great if this works! As you have found they heat the greenhouse, if they prove to give good crops would be another bonus & it is totally recyclable!

I have done the bottomless pots & sowed 2 courgettes & 2 patty pan squash. I will have a glut of courgettes as already have 2 plants on the edge of the squash bed, but the new friends I have made since the lock in will help me get rid of a quite a few.
Attachments
IMG_5241.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG (4.39 MiB) Viewed 2719 times
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

My neighbours are already commenting on how nice my courgettes look compared to theirs! They're not getting the first ones, though. I shall be harvesting courgette #1 tomorrow. I'm considering what special treatment to give it in the kitchen:)
Westi
KG Regular

OMG! You have courgettes already? Very North Dorset is way happier than very South Dorset & I thought I was doing OK despite the critter damage & poor germination! Always the first few for you is the rule! My first taste will be substitute pasta sheets in lasagne - or fritters, or tray baked veg even if bought bits as well! Then I will be ready to share! :)
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Well, I don't like to brag, but.....
IMG-20200518-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20200518-WA0001.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2687 times
vivienz
KG Regular

It's life was brief but meaningful and it met a glorious end in a light saute of courgette, asparagus and leek to accompany poached salmon and minted Cornish new potatoes. Hubby then had that quintessentially English dessert of strawberry jelly and ice cream. Oink.
Westi
KG Regular

Definitely got courgette envy! Well full dinner envy as well tbh! I got my first few strawberries today - scoffed in a blink - all 3! But will go with the jelly & ice cream when down on Thurs when off, as spotted loads on the turn & flipped them up onto the plant away from the slimy things & into the sun! Fingers crossed anyway! Still the pesky mice to deal with though!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic