Thick wet clay, any advice?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The beds in the greenhouse will stay moister than any pots or tubs in there but, will not stay as moist as the borders outside... they may appear to but, that is because they get watered more often. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Elmigo, as you have started off with effectively, outside soil in your new greenhouse, I'm not sure how long it will stay wet for. Normally, greenhouse soil dries out quite fast. AFter a winter rest, the soil in our old greenhouses always needed a lot of lovely homemade compost added, and a thorough watering several days before planting anything out. I used to run a trench down each bed and flood it several times, to get the subsoil moist.
Elmigo
KG Regular

I don't think that will be needed on the thick clay out here. It's very surprising that greenhouse soil seems to dry faster! I thought the humidity and vapor being unable to escape would make the soil stay moist for longer.
Westi
KG Regular

Your greenhouse will get hotter than you expect, definitely warmer than ours judging by the temps you get over there in the summer & mine has been 41 degrees before with door & vents open. You will be surprised how quickly your clay dries out & creates more humidity but not necessarily helpful! You need the humidity for your tropicals but not too much as will get problems with mould & the like so need the airflow to prevent spores landing & surviving! Your next challenge awaits Elmigo!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh, I'm sure he's up to the challenge! But yes, I'm sure all new greenhouse owners are challenged at first by the vast range of temperatures and humidity levels they have to cope with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic