Sowing in a shady place

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Joe63
KG Regular

I have a well fertilised plot but it is shady . What edible crop would you grown there ? My soil is chalk but is well drained and full of nutrients and worms
Primrose
KG Regular

The usual ones would be spinach, Swiss Chard, rhubarb. Some lettuce varieties will also grow in shade.

If the shade lessens higher up where plants can reach more sunlight and its only the ground area which is worst affected you could experiment with climbing beans which will grow up poles into more sunlight.

If the shade is caused by your own trees or hedges, would it be worth having them trimmed back or even sharing pruning costs with a neighbour to have this done? . It probably depends on how eager you are to try and stretch your growing boundaries.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Don't forget carrots! 8)
Westi
KG Regular

The Chinese brassica's deal with shade nicely & slower to bolt - Pak Choi, some of the mustards; there are lots available & well tasty!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Rhubarb does well in the conditions you describe.
Likewise Jerusalem artichokes.

I grow currants (I get much better returns from red than black) in the shady part of my allotment.

I realise that all of these are long term arrangements not annual planting.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic