Mesh Tunnel

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sapphie
KG Regular

I am putting a new mesh/net on an existing frame. What is the best way to join the mesh as I need two widths to cover the frame. I used cord last time and it rotted leaving holes. Is there a better more durable means of jpining the mesh/ netting.
All ideas are very welcome.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & Welcome Sapphie!

I sew my mesh together with thin plastic wire, literally under & over sewing - bit tedious & you do need to snip a bit off the end of the wire as the plastic pushes back. For net my neighbour sews them on her sewing machine onto tape under & over the edges. I just overlap mine by several inches & tie off both sides at intervals otherwise it dips down & you can bet your last penny that the cabbage whites will find a way in.

A lot of the guys on here use scaffold netting, which if you cheekily ask on building sites they will often give you & some of that is very wide & it lasts for ages. If your frame is wood you can just staple it to the frame, otherwise use the plastic wire and twist it onto the frame through the netting or use cable ties so it sits snugly & stays that way.
Westi
Sapphie
KG Regular

Thank you, I did use some cable ties for repairs previously. The wire sounds a much better idea, thank you. :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic