Composting poo?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daveswife
KG Regular

Most mornings we find fox and/or badger poo on the lawn, which I dispose of. Since we have no idea what the fox and badger have been eating, I assume it would not be wise to put it in the compost bin. Am I right?

I would happily occasionally put deer droppings in the compost bin, or, if I had access, a little sheep or cow poo, because these animals have only eaten grass. Goodness knows what the badger has been eating lately, something with red berries by the look of it! Or if it is fox poo, maybe the fox has eaten something which has eaten the berries!
Angie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good afternoon, Angie, the red berries you are finding could well be Yew berries...i'm not sure if it's foxes or badgers that eat them but, they sure do make a mess when they come out of the other end.
I don't think I would want fox or badger poo in my compost bin....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm with OH with that! Nothing that eats meat poo goes anywhere near my compost! But strangely as I write that I'm thinking in nature the plants probably do appreciate it & we forage as well so likely ingested by default. Also our compost heap is (hopefully) hot enough to destroy anything bad. But still I wouldn't by choice!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic