M25 Root Stock

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I have several M25 rootstocks that I have not grafted anything onto, if I leave them to grow what sort of apple trees would result? Are these rootstocks originated from crab apple trees or what?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Cider boys,
M25 are the most vigorous of the Malling (Merton) rootstocks. They are designed to produce traditional orchard standards. These days they are most probably used for heritage orchard replacements and cider trees.

I have no idea what you would get as fruit off them but I suspect that you would be better eating the pan you have boiled them in as it would probably have more taste.

Regards Sally Wright.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Thanks for your reply. I have used M25 root stocks to propagate the old remnant trees that I have in one of my orchards but I have a few left over that are now growing as trees from the root stocks. I was hoping that they would be from a crab apple tree if left not grafted and I would plant them in hedgerows as pollinators.
Diane
KG Regular

What an interesting dilemma - I'd plant them and just see what happens, if you have the room.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good question....I would say they would be from a Crab apple but, I don't know for sure....could you contact the supplier?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

The wonders of Google I have your answer Cider Boys.

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/art ... al-gardens

From which page I add for clarity on KG two snippets.

"Ironically the M25 rootstock is often specified for "traditional" English orchards, even though it is actually a modern invention - it was released in the 1950s and is a cross between the original Malling M2 rootstock and the American Northern Spy apple variety, so could never have been used in a Victorian orchard. It does however produce a tree with the visual characteristics of the traditional apple tree grafted on seedling roots."

"We have not heard of any source of Paradise rootstocks today but fortunately some of the original Malling rootstocks are perhaps acceptable approximations. These are the ones which are direct re-classifications of the Paradise rootstocks in use at the end of the 19th century, rather than the modern ones which were subsequently developed from them.

Of particular interest is "Malling II", or M2, which was classified from a strain of Paradise rootstock known in England [for several hundred years as "Doucin" or "English Paradise". It produces a fairly large semi-vigorous tree, and is perhaps the best choice for period authenticity in English gardens, although it is very difficult to obtain."
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done, Peter....as the old saying goes, "you learn something new, everyday"... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I think they'll fruit with proper apple sized crabs rather than the small ornamental fruit.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Sorry for the delay in responding but thanks to everyone especially Peter for the interesting link and information.

I
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic