How would I check soil for contamination?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

The garden where I volunteer (DENS in Dacorum) is situated next two car scrapyards.
Particularly at the furthest end, they are somewhat above us too and we, the gardening team, think that contaminants may be leeching from them.
This end is currently a rather unsuccessful lawn, the ground is heavily shaded and prome to damp (heavy clay soil).
I hope to convert the scrappy grass into productive ground but would like to check the soil beforehand.
-
Obviously the Charles Dowding method might be an alternative approach but that limits what one can grow. I can not see it supporting root veg.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If you really want to bite the bullet Stephen, I think the Enviroment Agency are the people you should be speaking to...maybe ring the Council, i'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

At the end of the day, there shouldn't be any contamition leaking into the ground.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Obviously the Charles Dowding method might be an alternative approach but that limits what one can grow. I can not see it supporting root veg."

Are you certain on this as sure he grows root veg.
Westi
KG Regular

Not sure the no dig would not be contaminated as well. Initially would be OK but if contaminates are leeching down they will quickly soak through the cardboard layer & contaminate the expensive compost on top. Go with OH & contact the environment agency for advice.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I think the RHS offers a soil analysis to members. Might be worth asking.
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks for the suggestions.

Colin, something in that, he may grow small turnips but I don't see how you caan grow spuds or celeriac or even full sized leeks (you could do baby leeks).

I confess my thoughts were to put this new ground to spuds first as this gets the soil well turned over and you make the space work hard
John
KG Regular

Hi Stephen
You best bet is to contact Environmental Health at your local council and explain your concerns. This is not the same as the Environment Agency. Try to arrange a site visit with one of their officers. They will advise you on what sort of tests for contaminants need to be carried out and also a suitable laboratory to do the work. You need more than a simple test for nutrients which I think is what the RHS will give you.
If you are growing for public consumption you do need to be able to show that you have considered all possible risks.

Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Colin2016
KG Regular

Stephan I have grown spuds & leeks with success using Charles's way, can't comment on turnips as do not grow them.
Stephen
KG Regular

Colin, despite having been on one of Charles' courses, I had not realised he did spuds. I certainly have no recollection of that.
Colin2016
KG Regular

You lucky chap Stephan I have only had the pleasure of one of his lectures. There is a video by him called "No Dig Potatoes from seed to harvest" on youtube.

Perhaps ask Charles your contamination question for his comments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic