Patio soft fruit

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Timepoormum
KG Regular

Hi, newbie member here, but I would be grateful for any advice/thoughts about the new varieties of rasps and blackberries that are promoted as good for containers/patio growing. Have there been any comparisons in terms of flavour or cropping for these new plants? I can’t find trials info online and have found a few articles saying the plants don’t last long and the flavour is not great. As they are quite expensive, any evidence based info would be much appreciated.
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry I can't answer your question but welcome to the forum. Hang in there as there will be someone on here that can offer advice.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum.
Have never tried growing either in a patio container. Raspberry roots especially tend to spread to make new plants and my guess is that you would need a jumbo size container to keep them healthy and cropping generously for any length of time, whatever variety you grow.
I suspect crop size would diminish every year unless you were able to remove from the container every year and fill it with fresh compost & manure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic