Saving Sweet Potato

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

giaur500
KG Regular

First frost happened, I guess it's time to harvest :wink:

Frost expected today and tomorrow too, so yes now it'st time
Last edited by giaur500 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Awe giaur, it sounded like you would have more time, but judging by the test dig you are going to have a great harvest regardless. No frosts predicted on the long range forecast here & with one tunnel door closed the temp is back in the mid 30C's & we had so much rain they got watered from under skin of the tunnel so they should be (& are) happy.

This time last year we had our first frost so a mini Indian Summer this year! I've no idea how quick they swell if conditions suit so will be interesting when I finally dig them. I will obviously post a pic when I have to dig them but expect to see your harvest as well! Just for encouragement as know big ones are possible when the weather plays fair!
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

Well, I think I can't count all plants will give me as much as harvested ones for test. So, I'm not able to make any prediction how rich my harvest is actually going to be.

I will start digging tomorrow, then need to wash them and put into incubator to cure them. It's actually much work to do, I hope I finish it tomorrow!
Westi
KG Regular

Always variables but I'm sure you will be busy curing loads & loads! Temp dropping here so I was right with it being a mini Indian Summer, but no frost predicted so still OK for a bit longer!
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

Single one:

Almost 5 kg from single plant, I think approx 500 kg is what I got. I have no pic to show all harvest, because I was digging partially, then pack in plastic bags and put into incubator to cure them.

Washed:

It's my first attempt with cure process. Single tuber placed inside plastic bag on full sunlight made it to be cured correctly. After 3 months, it's still in good condition.

Sensors I placed inside plastic bags show +31 °C temperature/98% humidity, but I'm not very optimistic about that process. Now need to wait 7 days to see results. Maybe I should not wash them, but they were very ugly + much mud on them.

No sunlight anymore, so we'll see how it works inside heat incubator and large scale.
Westi
KG Regular

Good luck with the curing & congratulations on the harvest - that is amazing!
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

I don't know what's going on but they decided to sprout instead of cure themself. Maybe that's not a problem, I guess they will still edible. I'm confused. New, thin white roots appear.
JohnBarker
KG Regular

The size of the sweet potatoes looks great and big. Thanks for sharing this pictures here. I'm super excited and can't wait to get the details on how to plant it.
Stephen
KG Regular

Those look excellent.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Update from today is the vines are flowering - Hmm? A bit late but still growing with no sign of leaves yellowing & I can see the tubers pushing the soil up & from my little tickle they are definitely bigger than when I last looked. Giaur, I have done a little research but nothing definitive comes up from time from flowers to approximate harvest. Everything just focuses on ready to dig when the vines yellow, but from your experience is there a time frame from flower to decent size? Still hitting30c in the tunnel & although the night temp is going down to 6C they seem to like my bubble wrap protection & no frost for the next couple of weeks. I do plan to leave them as long as possible, but just thinking of how much time I might have?
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

Flowers don't not matter. They may flower or not. Wait until you notice tubers are big enough. Mine were planted outside, so I'm limited to weather conditions, first frost = game over and need to harvest immediately.

Also. make sure young wines won't create their own roots, that may cause main tubers size decreased, because the plant is going to invest in its childern and not only main roots
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you as usual giaur. The vines are all climbing the netting or mesh I have surrounding them under the bubble wrap as I try to control them as their space is limited & they are quite thuggish so only the original slip has it's own ground space. Still no sign of frost & vents still opening as hot enough so feeling more optimistic as the days go by. I'll be happy with edible & with their slow start not expecting a harvest like yours but keeping my fingers crossed.

Many thanks for your patience with my questions. I really appreciate it! x
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

Well, I'm afraid cure process will fail in my case. It seems my mistake is they have been washed. They don't look fine and they grow new roots as crazy. But still they look firm, so I hope I won't lost them
retropants
KG Regular

I would dry them out pronto Giaur500 :)
giaur500
KG Regular

Ok, 2 days remaining, I will then dry them out and remove roots. As long as they are firm, I guess they are still good. That's strange, now they grow when unnecesary, but when I want them to grow at spring time to get new slips, they refue to sprout and I need to wait 2-3 months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic