Saving Sweet Potato

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

giaur500
KG Regular

Season end soon, so it's time to.summarize. That's how my plants look now:
https://youtu.be/2YSddfu0wpQ

Look at that large bulb, grown from slip. Purple variety. All of them grow on open space without any greenhouse.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Growing them in cold frame as mentioned in earlier post was a failure, lots of green leaves on top just thin roots.

Had better result using buckets in the past.
giaur500
KG Regular

Direct sunlight and warm soil are required. Otherwise it will always fail.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Had plenty of sunlight as was in centre of plot warm soil should have been ok as was inside a could frame that was on a raised bed.

Any idea what the temp the soil should be?
giaur500
KG Regular

Ideally not less than 15 at night and 30-35 in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight recommend all day. In temperate climate zone you will never get too high temperature.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Ok thanks giaur500
giaur500
KG Regular

Actually, I think soil temperature was even higher than 35 on sunny days. Unable to stand on it without shoes, as it almost sears foots. Not less than 45-50 degree at the noontime. Of course, it's on the surface, layers located deeper won't be so hot.
Stephen
KG Regular

Actually, I think soil temperature was even higher than 35 on sunny days. Unable to stand on it without shoes, as it almost sears foots. Not less than 45-50 degree at the noontime. Of course, it's on the surface, layers located deeper won't be so hot.

I'm sure I haven't experienced soil temperatures that hot in the UK, but tarmac, concrete, stone and other hard surfaces certainly. Howmuch this is actual temperature or to do with mass contact i'm not certain.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Mine are growing away nicely in the tunnel & just thinking of taking over the place. So far the temp is staying up & hitting the low 30's day time and generally around 16 - 18 overnight but the odd night a bit lower. As they did not approve of being disturbed, they are late so I will just let them do their thing as long as possible while the temp & light levels hold. The outside temp looks pretty stable for the next fortnight so fingers crossed. I don't mind if they are not as big as last year anyway as I had to find a couple of ways to use just the one potato as they were so huge. Although they did tolerate being cut in half & covered for a couple of days but they do dry out quite quickly from the cut end so really only have a few days.
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

New generation:

I will try to keep it indoors all winter and keep it alive. Now it grows outdoor
giaur500
KG Regular

Purple:

Orange:

White:

White planted almost 2 months later than purples (at the middle of June, slips directly planted outdoors). White variety grows fastest. Onle one of them harvested, I will let the rest I own to grow to first frost.

Not bad overall, except some of purples decayed due to huge rainfall and very wet soil.
Stephen
KG Regular

Impressive harvest.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Most impressive!
Westi
KG Regular

Some monsters in there!

Mine are hanging on and still growing. The vine is right across the back of the tunnel in the bed opposite. I have only ever tried the orange ones as do enjoy the flavour of them. Can you explain the taste difference giaur? Mind I don't think I have seen the white ones available anyway but just out of interest.
Westi
giaur500
KG Regular

Well, flavor is similar. Purple variety is denser and drier than orange and also aroma is different. And you need to cook it longer. White variety is similar to orange, but without aroma specic to regular orange variety. And it's also less sweet and a bit drier too.

In my opinion, orange variety has the best flavor. But as I heard, purple one is most healthy. Purple sweet potatos are available sometimes in the market (in my country, Carrefour offfers them, double price in compare to orange ones). White are very rare, I've seen them only one time. But apparently, white variety is mos easy to grow in colder climate zones. So I'm going to plant them again, as success is guaranted - freee air, without any tunnel or greenhouse, more harvested from one plant than regular potatoes and no pests on them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic