Microplastics in the soil

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

Something for the magazine to write about, maybe an interview with one of the research team?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/12/worms-fail-to-thrive-in-soil-containing-microplastics-study
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

This is interesting Stephen and obviously concerning as it's a similar story to how fish and other marine creatures are being affected by micro plastics in the oceans.

What is is worrying is the mention of micro plastics in manures. It would seem that whilst many of us are adding manure from various sources to enhance our soil, we could actually be harming it unwittingly if it's full of micro plastics from various sewage sources.
So effectively gardeners are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I try to garden and grow my vegetables as organically as possible and curiously wonder how many microfibres I have in my soil. I suppose one of the best judges of that would be how many worms can be found in it, although there is no easy way of telling how healthy your worms are.
Monika
KG Regular

I have just read that article, Stephen, and does sound rather alarming. The problem is that, however much an individual can try to avoid using plastic, it appears from everywhere in different forms and seems quite unavoidable. I do pride myself on being kind to our soil, treating and nourishing it like a favourite child, but now it seems I might also be poisoning it.
Geoff
KG Regular

I've got macroplastics in my soil - all the twinkly bits from shredding window envelopes - I wonder if they matter.
Primrose
KG Regular

Geoff, do you shred and compost a lot of your surplus paper then?
Geoff
KG Regular

I shred anything I can get through the shredder and tear up tougher stuff like cardboard. I have a lot of grass clippings and shredded stuff helps open it up.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I used to shred the window envelopes until I got fed up removing the plastic strips from my compost. I now tear off the plastic window before shredding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic