grenadier apples

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Apparently they don't store too well. A bit unfortunate as I have a good crop but am away tomorrow until 19th Sept and we don't have the time to make them into apple puree before then. Some of them have fallen and are in the shed and I have picked a few which came away easily. Wondering if I should the rest and hope for the best.
Geoff
KG Regular

Shame nobody has come along to advise, I spotted it earlier and couldn't decide. I have a Grenadier and they are a real problem. Some seem to drop quite early and some hang on even when they are very ripe. As you say they don't keep but I think the ones that stay on do last longer than the picked ones. If the windfalls have got a soft landing and are not likely to come to harm in other ways I think I would risk leaving the majority on the tree. Perhaps try and pick any that are obviously paler before you go away and store them somewhere cool, maybe the fridge salad area if big enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic