re-planting garlic cloves

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

marklg
KG Regular

Hi,

We managed to harvest garlic for the first time successfully this year. Having never planted it before I wasn't sure what to expect, but it has turned out really well.

My question is. Can I replant the cloves from the bulbs that have been harvested?

Thanks

Mark
Geoff
KG Regular

I replant some of my best cloves every year but I also usually buy in a few fresh ones as well.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've done this in the past. I think the experts might say you shouldn't really do it but should buy fresh to avoid introducing or spreading any diseases the bulbs might be carrying but in reality I suspect many home growers do this and get away it. Obviously if you plant in a different location next year this will help reduce the risk of them being affected by disease. A lot of people probably buy and plant bulbs purchased from supermarkets too and get away with it rather than buying their stock from specific garlic nurseries and suppliers.

If you have the space why not try both sources next planting time and see if you can notice any difference in the quality of the subsequent crops?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & welcome marklg! I have planted shop bought garlic before and had good results. I don't think the growers would take any risk with their income by growing bulbs with any diseases as that is after all their business I've also heard it said not to plant shop bought as they won't suit our climate, this I am sure could be right in some years but then even UK grown bulbs could be a challenge.

I'm glad you had a successful year, mine were not so good this year but 50% usable & the rest will be for making garlic spray.
Westi
marklg
KG Regular

Thank you all for your replies. I will replant some but I think I will also buy fresh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic