lack of fruit

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

paulw60
KG Regular

We have a 5.5 mtr sqr fruit cage approx 2.4mtr high. Despite all the ravings about abundant fruit this year, we have had zero cherries, 1 peach,1 nectarine,1 apricot, zero apples , half a dozen jostaberries, very few pears, globechokes are not growing ( second year in a row) we do have a lot of grapes and cobnuts though! what are we doing wrong, so frustrating
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
robo
KG Regular

You are doing nothing wrong it's been one of those years ,we have four cherry trees and not one cherry we have a few apples and plums we have two pear bushes one is laden nothing on the other but it's a young bush
paulw60
KG Regular

Thank you robo, that has given us some hope for next year!
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
Westi
KG Regular

If they fruited well last year they tend to rest the year after, but you still get some fruit normally just not the normal volume. Pollinators were late arriving, so late I truly thought there would be no flowers left on the trees for them to do their thing but they did finally arrive in time. It sounds like you have a lot of trees in that space so maybe they have depleted the nutrients & they need a boost over the coming winter. If they are young trees then they will often drop the fruit until mature enough for them to carry the extra crop as well as grow. I have moaned on here for years about my Plum Beauty giving little or no plums, but this year it is heaving so I was being impatient!

The apple & pear does not need to be in a cage so maybe dependent on where they are in the mix you could think about rearranging the accommodation for the others, the cherry definitely needs to be in there, birds will have them in a blink!
Westi
paulw60
KG Regular

Thanks westi,that gives me some hope! what is the best general fertiliser for fruit trees then? I know blueberries have to be ericacous
ilknur
KG Regular

I am not an experienced gardener, but last year both plum and cherry were laden with fruit. We couldn't get rid of it by giving away, making jam, pies, freeze etc.
This year no cherries, zero! Plum is sporadic... So maybe one year they do really well, the next not so good. Just posting to say you are not alone.
paulw60
KG Regular

thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic