Apples missing

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

I have three apple trees, Kidd's Orange Red, Egremont Russet and Enlli. This year there are hardly any fruits on any of them, though they all three came into blossom at the right time when there was no frost here. I am putting it down to a serious lack of pollinators. Has anyone else got the same problem?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

Did they crop well last year? I have very few apples after a massive crop last year but unlike you the blossom was also reduced though I would have said there was still enough for more fruit than I have. One tree has a reasonably crop but it is a young tree with this being its first proper cropping year. We had masses of pollinators during fabulous February but there were less about later at blossom time when it had cooled down again. On the other hand there are lots of pears and plums so it is all a bit odd.
robo
KG Regular

I have the same with three cherry bushes not a cherry in sight after a half decent year last year
alan refail
KG Regular

They all three cropped between well and very well last year. By the time masses blossom were out I did not see many pollinators at all.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My harvest looks less this year, the June drop saw a larger than usual amount of fruitlets fall off
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

I dont grow fruit trees sadly but was always under. impression that following a good cropping year a tree usually had to "have a rest" so performed very lightly the following year. Perhaps it's another of those old wives tales. Lack of pollinators or a sudden cold or dry period sound a much more scientific possibility.
Last edited by Primrose on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

It is not an old wive's tale about the trees having a rest, they just do, but you still get a crop, just not a glut! I am happy with my trees, I have treated my Pear tree for about 3 yrs for scab & I have several branches with clear fruit on, still some more work to do & glued up fingers from the heal & seal stuff, fortunately no knife injuries but close. It has spread to my red apple but the russet looks fine. And joy of joys it looks like my plum Beauty has finally matured & despite it's early flowering it is going to be the glut & the Victoria is resting after last years glut but still a lot of fruit. Next comes the battle of the wasps - best buy one of those pretend wasp nest things asap! Anyone tried them?
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

An interesting talk the other morning, on Farming today. It was from a Blackcurrant farmer, and he was saying how bad the Blackcurrant harvest is going to be this year.....mostly down to Vernilization (a period of cold) the berries are ripening at different stages and since they harvest in one sweep, they are only going to get about the third of a ripe harvest.
Apples like that cold spell too, so could be a combination of things.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic