What crops do you keep for the seeds?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

After harvesting the leaves I kept my bok choy plants in the container. I even got to harvest some more leaves before they started to flower. It takes a while to get the seeds from there, yet I did it anyway. What crops do you consider worth the waiting, if any, and why?
alan refail
KG Regular

Open-pollinated tomatoes, cucumber and beans.
Why? Because you don't ever have to buy seed in the future. (Cucumber only works if you grow one, and only one, variety)
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

Tomatoes, beans, chillies and peppers. These all work for me.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Reason I'm asking is that some crops only give seeds after flowering while others have seeds in the fruits you pick. The first will take up space only for seeds and no edible harvest. And for me space is already very limited :lol: It's only that bok choy already has produced seed pods so I keep it there to harvest. Also, some plants' seeds may not grow into plants that are similar to the parent plant. Some plants (don't know which ones) may even get different color and size fruits if you use the seeds of them!
Diane
KG Regular

I always keep seeds from tomato (as long as it's not a hybrid), beans, peas and not forgetting the dark sunflowers which alwas seem to come true to last year's colours.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic