Polytunnel Plastic Grade??

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Connie777
KG Regular

Hi I need advice please on what grade of plastic sheeting i need to cover a 6ft x 9ft Polytunnel? I was given it with a Green zip up cover which is very worn now & the zip sticks terribly, my plot is in full sun all day & a neighbour on the Allotments said any plastic I put on must be very thick for this reason? Regards Ruth stephens
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Ruth
Is your original cover this one? https://www.gardman.co.uk/replacement-reinforced-cover-for-polytunnel-pe.html
I volunteer on a gardening project and their tunnel cover ripped and looking at the debris and size of the frame, it is clearly one of these.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

If you look on first pollytunnels website there is a choice of covers
KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Connie

Any of the polytunnel manufacturers will be able to sell you a new cover for your frame if you give them the size. As others have mentioned covers some in various grades but all good ones will have UV protection to give the cover a longer life when exposed to bright sunlight. It is also a good idea to use hot spot tape (also available from the same companies) over the frame prior to recladding. You'll find details of most of the main polytunnel producers on the pages of KG.

They may also be able to sell you a door kit if you need one.

Alternatively you may be able to obtain a new green cover from the original supplier if you know who that was, but it is unlikely to last as long as new purpose-made sheeting.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Connie777
KG Regular

Hi Steve, thankyou for your reply, That info is really useful as I hadn’t thought about uv affecting the covers longevity? Will look into the suppliers, Ruth
Connie777
KG Regular

Yes, Stephen it is a Gaurdman one, I was gifted the polytunnel two xmas’s ago by my other halfs parents , but it has had its day
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic