Pea and Bean weevil?

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

This year we have been hammered by something eating all round the edges of the peas and broad beans.(Looking it up we think it is the pea and bean weevil) We have had this before but never as bad as this year. We are organic and have been for 18 years but are now considering using a spray as our peas are just not doing anything. Our broad beans are battered by them. Even the lettuces in the same bed as the peas are suffering. We will be lucking if we get one row of peas to eat this year. Any suggestions.
Westi
KG Regular

I get that some years but still get a harvest usually, but if they are decimating the leaves that is not going to happen. There are organic sprays recommended on the RHS site if you have a look. I suppose as an alternative it says the grubs drop to the ground when disturbed so you could also just stamp your feet around the plants as well.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Catherine, I think you will find that the damage becomes much less when the weather is wet (as is likely to happen this week) and once the plants have grown a bit, they will withstand the damage. If you are thinking of spraying, I believe the Neudorff range of sprays is organic, so you might find something there.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Healthy plants usually go on to produce good crops without having to spray Catherine - or you could consider covering the young plants with crop protection netting or fleece until well established. If you do need to spray Bug Clear Gun for Fruit & Veg, Ecofective Bug Killer is approved for use on this crop I believe (natural pyrethrum).
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you for your suggestion, we have sprayed with Bug clear gun for fruit and veg and they have sprung into life. We hate using sprays but this was definately a last resort. They seem to be picking up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic