Last year I grew leeks...

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Last year I grew leeks in a bed just large enough for 4 plants. Oh forgetful me left one of the 5 seedlings in a tiny pot because I didn't want to throw it away but I had no more space in the bed either. Now the leeks is starting to flower, or well, I believe it does. This is what it looks like in its second year, very small. Can I harvest the seeds from this little guy and use them to grow new leeks? Because last year I also ran out of leeks seeds. Also, can you still eat this after flowering?

Screenshot_20190430-152805_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190430-152805_Gallery.jpg (873.27 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
retropants
KG Regular

Once the flower stem is showing, there will be a hard stem down the entire length of the plant, so it's no longer edible. However you can use the seeds if you are willing to wait, and it wasn't an F1 hybrid :) You'll have a lovely big bee friendly flower in the meantime.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Lovely! It's certainly not an F1 hybrid. I do want to get more bees to this place :D
Thank you.
Last edited by Elmigo on Sat May 11, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Definitely let it flower & collect the seeds (if not F1 as Retro says). Those seeds have had their first generation in your environment so a bit toughened by the challenges it's parents coped with.

I was thinking if you want more bees have a look at Lidl's, they do these cheap metal hanging pots that you could hang over the side of your balcony (on & off as is the Lidl's way) & grow some bee friendly flowers without compromising the space. You do need to punch holes in the bottom though. Mine have geraniums in them (not the best for bees so stick to simple flowers) & this is their 3rd year & no rust so pretty impressed as I think I got 3 pots for about £6 or £7. Warn your neighbour downstairs though when you are going to water!
Westi
Elmigo
KG Regular

Amazing, thanks a lot! There is a Lidl nearby and I think I can hang them on the inside. As theres bushes in front of the fence this makes it easier to water them and the neighbours below won't having the Niagara waterfalls streaming down their barbecue. What flowers are great for bees?
Westi
KG Regular

Now flowers aren't my speciality but I have them everywhere on the plot. Bee's like the poppies best I think, but too big for a pot, but have sweet peas alongside any climbers I have & they don't seem to compete, got marigolds & candeula, but the clever folk on here will advice you better.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic