Rabbits

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Muddyboot68
KG Regular

Hi All
I am new to the forum and newish to growing fruit and veg. I have recently got an allotment, my Broad Beans have been nibbled by rabbits but not destroyed completely, should I fence the beans or is the nibbling suggestive of them not liking them. This may be a utterly stupid question but I don't know if rabbits eat broad bean plants.
Stephen
KG Regular

I have no idea if rabbits like broad bean plants or not but they will eat most green leaves.
I'd put some chicken wire around them. You will need to dig it in.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Muddyboot68!

Are you sure that it was rabbits? Is there evidence of droppings or scratching? Rabbits will eat just about anything & not just nibble; but broad beans get a notched edge from some bug that doesn't affect the crop. Either way protect your crops if you can't fence the plot & have a rabbit issue, not only dig in any form of protection but also turn the edges out or cover the top so they bang their heads when they try to climb it. I witnessed them making a quick job of climbing my chicken wire fence to be gone when I surprised them with an early visit.
Westi
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

Thanks Stephen and Westi, it turns out that it may be a leaf minor bee that nibbles the leaf and as Westi said it do not affect the crop, this was from a very knowledgeable man on the allotment. We do have rabbits so I will block them. Thanks Both
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic