Qualcast Classic 43s running on full choke

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

CarefreePembs
KG Regular

Hi

First post alert!

I’ve recently purchased a second hand Qualcast Classic 43s. It’s in immaculate condition.

Yesterday I gave the grass it’s first cut if the year and had to have the choke on full for the 1hr+ that I was using it. The engine would not idle with the choke off.

I’ve seen a very old thread which indicates this can be fixed. Does anyone please have any instructions/advice they could please share?

Or, is this just a case that it’s the first good run it’s maybe had for a while and I shouldn’t worry???

Thanks for any help that can be given.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It sounds like a carberator problem, CarefreePembs, either from petrol being left in over winter and gumming up, or from a foreign object blocking the jet.....I'm no mechanic, so can't offer any help in how to strip the carb...

Welcome to the forum by the way.. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Try a tin of aerosol carburetor cleaner it won't do any harm and will remove any gumming up ,it's near impossible to diagnose engine faults unless you have the engine in front of you but old petrol won't do any good a dirty plug can also cause problems
CarefreePembs
KG Regular

Many thanks Oldherbaceous and robo, really appreciate your responses.

Looks like I need to spend a little time at the weekend making sure all is cleaned through.

Thanks again for the pointers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic