growing chillies

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

paulw60
KG Regular

Love all the veg we grow, but I am hooked on growing different chillies! hotter the better. I have read about Dragons breath chilli and supposed to be hotter than Reaper. I can't find anybody that sells them. Have you guys any idea?
many thanks
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
Diane
KG Regular

I expect that it will be on sale some time after it makes an appearance at Chelsea. I couldn't find any suppliers of seed either, at present.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nor ... s-39946962

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/05/ ... 356191.htm
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Geoff
KG Regular

paulw60
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have tried growing some of the more obscure(usually difficult) chillies, paying quite a lot of money for very few seeds and often getting zero success. Try pre soaking them and I hope you have more success than me, I do grow chillies, but now only grow the easier ones like de Cayenne and Hungarian hot wax.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
paulw60
KG Regular

Hi, yeh, like you managed to find some dragons breath last year but struggling to get them going got some great Reaper amonst others coming along fine
Elmigo
KG Regular

Not sure where to buy them in other countries but I'm giving bhut jolokia pepper a try. I have been told they are extremely hot. Just the pepper you're looking for!
paulw60
KG Regular

Elmigo wrote:Not sure where to buy them in other countries but I'm giving bhut jolokia pepper a try. I have been told they are extremely hot. Just the pepper you're looking for!

Thanks Elmigo
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have my first few chillies formed on the over wintered plant, busy pollinating flowers with my little paint brush.
paulw60
KG Regular

Started mine in Feb, but still so small!! must be doing something wrong!! Got armaggedon, monkey face , reaper, basket of fire so fare.
paulw60
KG Regular

managed to find dragons breath seeds, but taking over a month to post! Hope it won't be too late.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

They will be late, but if you over winter and treat as a perennial you should do fine.
paulw60
KG Regular

IF I can get a couple going at least I can save some seeds!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic