pumpkins

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Muddyboot68
KG Regular

Hi All
I have a three bay compost bin, one full of 9 month old cow muck. Can I plant a pumpkin directly into the muck without loss of the plant, I started the pumpkin in the greenhouse at the beginning of May.

BG
peter
KG Regular

As a student my summer job one year was on a farm, tail end of it we helped the contractor doing the muck spreading from the cattle yard slurry pit.
One of the old boys started th job by scooting out over the crust on some boards that just about stayed afloat with him on them.
Guess where the village show prize marrow grew each year?

So it should be OK, but I'd make a hole the size of a ten inch pot, fill that with potting compost and put the plant in that.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

Do watch out for slugs! They tend to lurk in compost bins and are very partial to pumpkin plantlets!
Stephen
KG Regular

The method given to me for growing curcubits was to dig a substantial hole and fillit with manure, then add water until it is virtually liquid before adding the young plant. I will be using the base of my manure heap this year for my squash.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

After last year I decided not to bother ,I had one that needed two people to carry I put it in the trailer outside our front door then cut it in half with a saw ,I used it in some soup I was making it was far to sweet I did not rate it at all I gave the rest to the chickens
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

Thanks to all of you

I'm convinced I'll give it a try, I'll let you know later in the year.

BG
LisaW
KG Regular

My partner grew a LOT of pumpkins last year and they really were not worth eating - very bland - and very, very heavy. Fortunately (for me) mice or rats got at many of them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic