Insulating compost bin

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Si_hitch
KG Regular

Hi everyone! Just after your opinions, I have 4 darlek style compost bins on my allotment which I was thinking about wrapping in bubble wrap and black "cling film". My thoughts were that this would maintain a warm, active compost heap throughout the winter. Has anyone tried this, is there any value to this idea? :?:
Primrose
KG Regular

Firstly, where are the bins situated? Are they in a shady corner of your plot or located by a hedge which shields out the sun for part of the day, even if winter sun doesnt have much warmth in it ? This could make a slight difference.
Insulating the bins might make a difference but I suspect also the different type of materials added might also change the speed at which the various materials decompose.

Putting a cheap maximum and minimum thermometer in them might give you some idea of the current temperatures being achieved. Why not experimental with putting insulating bubble wrap round one of them using aa maximum/minimum thermometer although the inside temperature will obviously change throughout the winter depending on whether we have snow, frost etc and daily temperatures.

I,d be intrigued to know the answer to this do please come back and report on results if you decide to experiment, or if anybody else has any ideas on how to speed up composting. My two open wire compost cages are located in the shadiest corner of the garden by a north facing fence and if I could find any easy practical way of speeding up composting in these conditions I would glad to try them .

Welcome to the forum by the way. Please do stay on here and share your ideas and experience.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

HI, Personally I would not consider a full body wrap in clingfilm.
Almost certainly would cause sweat at times, likely to encourage soggy or sour aroma

My heaps are all open to the elements, having been made from old pallets, I just accept that my composting takes time by letting decompose naturally with pretty reasonable results

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

What about lining the inside with cardboard?

Since moving to pallet type compost bins the temp has been around 60/70 active/hot where as the darlek type got hot for a few days then dropped off.
Last edited by Colin2016 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
robo
KG Regular

I agree with Colin line with cardboard ,it's cheap and will rot down you could also use news papers especially the sun as it's full of crap to start off with
Colin2016
KG Regular

Another thought on pallet verses darlek.

There are gaps in pallets but not in the darlek as compost needs air could this be reason darlek does not get hot.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Noticed a darlek bin with slots in the side, first one I have seen like this.
Si_hitch
KG Regular

robo wrote:I agree with Colin line with cardboard ,it's cheap and will rot down you could also use news papers especially the sun as it's full of crap to start off with

:lol:
Stephen
KG Regular

I use 3 dalek bins on the 'lottie. I'm sure I could do better but I don't need to accommodate more volume and I already have them.
My experience is that inital break down is quite rapid but it slows later. I follow standard procedure and mix in as much cardboard as is readily available.
With three bins, I mix the stuff around. As I dig out one, the top, less rotted stuff goes in another bin and I use the better stuff from the bottom.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic