composting for disabled

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

john bridge
KG Regular

I have a form of muscular dystrophy and find it difficult to turn my compost bin, especially as it has no door at the bottom so is not easy to access. I have heard about rotary composters but need one that is easy to turn and access. The items I compost are mainly grass clippings and kitchen waste as well as garden plant waste. Any suggestions?
peter
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum John.
I don't have any suggestions but suspect you'll be looking at the more expensive area of the garden centre.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi and welcome.

There area few shown via the link below.

I have a vertical rotary bin and as time goes by I am finding it tougher to turn when over half full.

I would suggest one of the types that are on a horizontal plane, should be easier to spin.
There are also some and with winding handles but of course the price reflects

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... d1m7_b_p27

Hope it helps.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome John!

Good question. I would imagine they would be quite heavy to turn full but as it speeds up the composting maybe you wouldn't have to fill it so much and could off load it when 1/3rd full onto a pile and then maybe would be about 75% composted so it could continue to break down but still ready earlier?
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

You don't have to turn compost, it's just quicker with the air in it if you do.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

I was going to say that as well, just have an extra heap and pile it up for longer. The only problem is if the proportion of grass clippings is too high. Shred all your junk mail and maybe some newspapers and tear up any cardboard boxes you get, anything to open up the grass a bit. I collect stuff in another heap then when I cut the grass add layers of each, I suppose that may constitute turning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic