Saving tomatoes from blighted plants

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Are there any recommended ways of saving tomatoes from plants affected by blight, especially the half ripe and green ones?
I,ve had to pick about 30 lbs of ripe, "on the turn" and green fruits from my slightly affected plants today which have all been ripped up and disposed of.

I've washed them all, which probably has no effect at all. I know others are in this position - it seems such a waste to destroy crops which on picking look oK if something can be done quickly to save them.

I know they often quickly go black but in the past I've rescued some by prompt picking so any advice on possible treatment please ?
Last edited by Primrose on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose!

I had some luck with rinsing them in a vinegar & water solution one year which managed to get the ones on the turn ripe. Funnily I had a corridor chat with someone who also gets blight at home and asked a similar question. She said she just freezes the green ones whole (so long as no obvious blight), and she uses them in chutneys. I'm no chutney expert and didn't even know you could make chutney from frozen toms, but hey maybe worth researching.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic