publishing date ofDecember issue

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

Wonder if you can tell me when I should expext delivery of the December issue.
I have been told it was posted on the 11th of October.

Would it be reasonable to expect this to have arrived by now?
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Nothing has arrived in Kent either (yet)
- but it is so odd to wait for a December issue when November is not yet here (the month, not the mag!)!
Oh I do wonder what interesting seeds we'll get this time :mrgreen:
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Primrose
KG Regular

Crikey Colin, you're looking ahead! That's almost as bad as as the TV showing Christmas adverts in mid October!

I know magazines have to plan ahead but I personally can never see the point of having my future KG magazines delivered so far in advance. Perhaps other readers can tell me what I'm missing the point of, apart from perhaps ordering some new varieties of seeds etc to grow for next year that might be reviewed

I'm at the stage of my life when I want the time to frigging slow down, not speed up !! :(.
Westi
KG Regular

Agree Primrose!

If we get the December issue it will be full of Xmas stuff & then I will get frigging (language Primrose :wink: ) depressed as well! When did it go 2 months in advance? Thought it was only just one month! That's no good for me as I recycle my mag to others so it will be gone to someone else when I want to refer to something.

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I placed a new order for KG I cancelled the last one as I thought there was to many repeats seemed that every month had the same things in it as twelve months previously but I found I was purchasing it at the supermarket every month so in the November issue was an offer it starts of with three issues for a fiver then twenty pounds in the next six and twelve months, as I was placing the order the lady asked would I like the free seeds , being a tight bugger I said yes today I had an envelope delivered with twenty packets of seeds inside
Westi
KG Regular

Good one Robo!

That definitely will offset the price of the 6 & 12 months subscription if you calculate it out!

I'm pretty amazed at the hike in price for seeds this year - either price up or seed count down! Thankfully discount through the lottie club, but even then if you calculate losses that are almost inevitable it's quite a hike! Will be interesting to see the plot cost for next year when it comes in January! They can't find where to move us, but bet they hike it up to make the space left smaller as few can afford it! (Loose a row then probably 10 houses or a few block of flats).

Cynical me hey?

Westi
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thank you all for your replies.

Explanation: I brought the October copy in September. Then I sign up for the 3 month special offer. See payment go out in October so assume I would get November issue next.
As no magazine received yet I queried it, got this reply....
“The November issue of Kitchen Garden came out in September (sounds a bit early but it¹s correct).

I¹ve had a look at your account and the December issue (this is the one your sub starts with) was posted on the 11th of October).”

As it has not arrived and having no reply to my email about this I raised it here.

On a side note, I know they have a electronic version, which I would use, unfortunately it does not work on a Kindle although they are looking into it.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

It seems to be quite common practice In the world of monthly publications to make them available either on sale or sent to subscribers a month earlier than the cover date.

Personally I find it a pain, I want to read what I am supposed to be doing now, not what I should be doing in December.
So what do I do, As soon as the mag arrives through the door I unwrap it and see what variety of courgette, radish or kale etc. has been sent this month

I then put the magazine to one side until around the beginning of the cover month.

Well that's the theory. In practice I forget all about it, find it two or three months later and read what I should have done and curse when I see what events I missed that month.

Is there a technical reason why cover dates are a month ahead or is it just to ensure that when printing and publication is late it is still out before the cover month shown.

Generally speaking it is why I don't subscribe to the magazines I read, . KG being the sole exception

Thinking about it as I type, If each months publication was sent out at the beginning of that month its sales would probably plummet around the middle of the month as people thought "that ones nearly out of date, I'll wait until the next one is out" and then as soon as the latest issue arrives at the shops the retailer probably packs it up and returns any previous issues still in stock back to the distributor under their 'sale or return' agreement

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
― John Lydgate

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin2016
KG Regular

Your out of date theory only works if they are available in the shops.

In my case the magazine is only available on order from my 3 local shops & the supermarket does not stock it, although the bigger branch 18 mile away does.

There is another thought that by confusing me with the issue date they are losing sales.

I was all fired up to get the November issue (that’s why I took up the subscription offer in the October issue expecting it to start with november) which I seemed to have missed, so my options are order a back copy or go without.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

ok, perhaps the retailers don't stock it through lack of demand in that area (allegedly) and their distributor does not operate a sale or return policy.

Just guessing, or clutching at straw beds

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

December issue arrived today, with one packet Parsnip seeds which pleases us no end. :D
We like Parsnips

Westi
KG Regular

Self Advertising Pa! :D :D :D :D

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Oh yeah,

You were definitely ahead of me there, never realised :lol:

I must check see if they are Tender & True :D

Pa Snip
KG Regular

no comment, they are White Gem :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Mines just arrived - first time it's only been one pack of seeds though.... I know, I should be grateful....

Parsnips - nice. I was interested to see the sow by date is 2020! I thought parsnip seeds needed to be quite new?

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic